Do I have Covid hair loss? Have you had Covid-19 and are now experiencing hair loss? There are 30% more clicks on websites about hair loss and a 120% increase in searches for hair loss after illness. An increasing amount of people who have been ill from the Covid virus are sharing that they have more hair in their brushes.
Normal hair loss is about 80-100 hairs a day. Being sick and/or stressed the body becomes more sensitive to inflammation which can causes hair loss. This can accelerate hair loss-sometimes up to several hundred hairs per day.
Hair loss can be a common side effect of drugs that are used to treat Covid-19, like steroids and Remdeivir.
Check out more info on Healthline story about Covid-19 hair loss! https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-survivors-are-losing-their-hair-heres-why
Treatment for Hair Loss
The good news is that this hair loss is temporary and will resolve within 6 to 9 months.
Here are some tips for treating hair loss resulting from stress or covid:
- Treat your hair and scalp gently. You should avoid harsh products and scalp scrubs. Nioxin shampoo and conditioning products are great for keeping your scalp clean and healthy.
- Try to spend 10-30 minutes in the sun a day. The sunshine keeps our vitamin D levels normal that prevent hair loss. A blood test will let you know if you may need to use a supplement.
- Use blow-dryers and thermal tools sparingly and on low heat settings. Start with the lowest settings and increase if need be.
- Avoid wearing tight hair clips that can put extra stress on hair and scalp.
- Eat good healthy foods, exercise, get enough sleep and do your best to manage stress. Isn’t this what we hear for all total well being!
Stayed tuned to future blogs on treatments for hair loss. https://www.brookerockwellhair.com/